follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, June 14, 2009

    Take a Step

    I've found especially as an artist [photographer] that I can easily fall prey to a cranial assault, commonly known as "the rut" or "a funk". For a while I would sit in these things for days, weeks or maybe months at a time. From others, I have discovered this is not exclusive to the left-brained, but you may suffer as well in your workplace, relationships, or just day to day activities.

    In Africa, this enigma has been easy to avoid due to the nature of my daily work, but it has crept in a bit as things start to wind down. I luckily have been given some inspiration from a friend here to relieve that itch; which I'll be slowly revealing in the coming weeks. Be prepared; you're invited to participate as well.

    Before that inspiration, I felt like I was in a photographic funk. It was easy for me to go from assignment to assignment, shoot what I needed to and "get the job done." But the only way for me to grow as a photographer [or in anything for that matter] is to simply get my feet wet.



    So today and this week I encourage you to try something new; not only that, but include someone in your journey. It can be a close friend, relative or even a stranger in the street; but please include someone. I think its easy to tell ourselves we're doing something different, but in reality we're not. So having someone along for the ride makes it a conscious experience for two. Whatever it may be; smiling, waving to a stranger, holding a door open in a public place or even serving at a soup kitchen: I just want to encourage you in this.

    Jerome

    1 comments:

    aubrey said...

    Ok.. on a funny note - you and buddy definatley have dad's feet!! LOLOLOL :) Love you!