follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, March 28, 2010

    Updates from the Road

    Two weeks into the Sound and Lights! Tour and I'm exhausted. We started in Sacramento in a 15 passenger van and I'm currently writing from Mt. Pleasant, Iowa.




    It's been quite the journey. We finally met up with our RV/Bus in Las Vegas which finally gave us some room to stretch our legs.



    These two weeks have been great so far. I've been blessed with nine other amazing people to live, learn and love with. I'll be honest. I had no idea how this was going to pan out. Well lets rewind for a minute and I'll tell you how I go into this situation.

    At the end of last year, I photographed the LOVEMERCY convention in Denver, CO. Steven Cooper was one of the performing artists at the event. Towards the end of the event, he and his manager commented on my work and told me about this tour they were planning the spring. Three months, ten people, 52 cities and one bus. Free food and travel...? Hmm I think I'm in.



    Ten people including the 2 and 1/2 year old Ezekiel.

    As a student this trip is a nightmare. I'm taking twelve units online and there isn't a constant source of the World Wide Web outside of tethering (don't tell Verizon) my phone. So far I'm alive and I've made it to midterms. In fact, I'm writing this to avoid studying for my accounting midterm.

    As a photographer this trip is a nightmare blessing crucible. I get to photograph three Christ-centered artists for six weeks. Photographing the same three acts five days a week on average can definitely make you want to put a drill in your ears, no matter how good they are. Forgive me Thom Yorke, but yes even you and Radiohead would get old after six weeks straight.

    Photographing the same three acts five days a week on average will definitely make you a better photographer. You quickly learn that your bag of tricks only goes so far and runs so deep, and my bag is looking like a desert stream in the summertime. So what do I do to pass the time? I keep photographing, maybe I restrict myself to one lens, or one style. One huge source of inspiration has been Todd Owyoung , this dudes like the Buddha (no pun) of concert photography.

    0 comments: