follow me on Twitter

    Monday, March 29, 2010

    From the Crucible : Days #87, 88/365 - Iowa

    I had a night to relax, so I thought I'd put my feet up and write a little.

    Earl and Dale

    Ahh that's better. So I'm now calling this trip the crucible. I prefer that you think associate that word positively in connotative light(thanks Mrs. Maxon, 12th grade AP english). I feel like this trip has already made me a better photographer, student and just overall person. Photographically, I'm "forced" to shoot day-in, day-out. Mostly the same subjects and I'm expected to bring a fresh light every time.

    Do I always succeed? Of course not. But that's the point, I can see where I failed, and look for new ways to improve. You don't really get that opportunity everyday, so I'm excited.

    The two days we were in Iowa were pretty cool. The crowd was excited and the venues were surprisingly well lit.

    Day #87/365 - Ottumwa, Iowa

    The story continues after the click.

    Day #88/365 - Mt. Pleasant, Iowa

    I also get to meet great people in great places that I had no idea existed outside of Hollywood.
    Enter Frank.

    Texas Frank

    We met Frank W. in Dalworth, Texas on a gas stop. I think he works/owns the local Subway sandwich shop. Frank caught my attention with a simple question, "The real question is whether you shoot Nikon or Canon?" I laughed and replied, "Nikon, hahaha no I only shoot the best, so it has to be a Canon. I shoot with Nikon flashes though." He laughed and we chatted for a bit. We explained what we were doing and where we were headed. Frank even picked up a CD from Adam Cappa


    Texas Frank and Adam

    The moral of the story is that this tour is exposing me to towns and people whom I may have never had the chance to run into. I can take photos in places that few people know about and even fewer have visited. So what are YOU doing to get out of your comfort zone?

    0 comments: