follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, April 12, 2009

    Journeys, Jazz and JoBurg

    My Journey ends Stateside as I prepare to move through airport security and walk down the jetway into a new world. Most of you know that I've spent this last weekend in Southwest Michigan training with VOXUnited and visiting my aunt and nana for easter. I strolled around old Benton Harbor experiencing a town once alive in a Whirlpool of life.





    My nana has spent most of her life in Benton Harbor. She's never told me much about it, but she's not much for talking about boring things like that.

    But over the years, between her, my aunt, and family Benton Harbor used to be a heck(CA native) of port city.

    I walked from up and down Main St. Nothing. It was Easter weekend, so I give 'em that. But literally there was nothing. In the middle of the strip I captured this image.



    An abandoned theatre. For awhile I stood and stared. I imagined what that theatre looked like when it breathed.

    I gave up.

    As I made my way back towards nana's I stumbled upon a Haitian man bringing some music equipment into a building. I said good day and walked on.

    Curiosity killed me.

    I reversed my step and took a peek in the window.

    Life? Is that you?

    A bar, candle-lit tables, chairs and as my eyes scanned through the blinds, there it was. A stage. A piano. The Kalawe Jazz Cafe.



    Owner/Founder Jean Prospers gave birth to Kalawe's in July last year and it is home to NPO Jazz Exchange. A place for the public to be educated in the traditions of Jazz music. Prospers states that the purpose the Jazz Exchange is not only entertain but to sustain the roots of Jazz music.

    "These towns have held so much [motions with his fists]. I believe music speaks to the heart."


    Jean Prospers


    Denis [idon'twannabutcheryourlastname] & Billie Holiday



    There was also a drummer by the name of Kasandra who killed it that night.


    Well it's late and tomorrow brings JoBurg.

    in Love,

    Jerome

    www.jeromelovesyou.com
    jeromelovesyou@gmail.com

    Follow Me: www.twitter.com/jeromelove

    0 comments: