follow me on Twitter

    Monday, January 25, 2010

    Coming Soon: Photo365 - Film February

    Day #31/365- The Start

    I've decided to do something different this February for my 365 project. I'm going to shoot it entirely on film kind of. I'm going to spend the month of February shooting all of my daily photos with either my Mamiya 645, Canon AE-1 or possibly my Polaroid (if I can afford the film.)

    But, Jerome, how are you going to get that film, shoot it, process it, print it, scan it, and upload it day by day?

    The answer and more, after the click.

    I'm not.

    FilmVsDigital Mosaic


    In fact, I'm still going to be shooting the entire month with my trusty Canon 5D. But, I'm going to shoot the exact same shot with either of my film choices. Before we go any further lets define that.



    By exact I mean:


    • Same ISO (Film Speed)

    • Same lighting (if applicable)

    • Same Aperture (with a stop)

    • Same Shutter Speed (within a stop)

    The reason I'm allowing for a stop difference with aperture and shutter speed is because film can hold a tonal range of about 7 or 8 stops (well-process B&W) and the most a digital SLR can hold is about 6 stops of light. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, I'd suggest starting here.


    I already know this project is going to be meticulous (why I picked the shortest month of the year) but that's one of the advantages of doing this. It's going to slow me down right before the busiest 3 months of my life and really force to me at least brush up on my film understanding and probably my understanding of using a camera in general. If you're keen on trying this shoot me an email , find me on facebook or folllow me on twitter , I'd love to hear about how you're tackling this and see your results.


    So when are you going to process, print, scan, and upload your film?


    The third week of February. I figure that I would at least have my first two weeks of film done by then and then can start sorting through it. Here's the coolest part. We're going to compare them side by side (as best as we can) and we're going to vote on it. This polling system is statistically flawed, pretty insignificant, and downright biased because a lot of my readers are into film and it's all coming from one photographer, but anywho I wanted you to get involved. Who knows where this will go.


    So get ready.







    0 comments: