follow me on Twitter

    Wednesday, May 27, 2009

    Future Voices : Maztleng

    Following up on my latest post, I have another story to share with you all. I have to say that I am truly blessed to have the opportunity to converse with these individuals. They have defined perseverance with their lives.

    Enter Maztleng.





    I met Maztleng over the weekend in Soweto. We met her at her new RDP Home. She lives there with her mother and other relatives. Her older sister lives next door.

    Question: " Hi, please introduce yourself, how are you doing tonight? "

    Answer: " Hello, my name is Maztleng. I am 18 years of age. I live here in Soweto with my mother, sister and family. "

    Q: " Nice to meet you Maztleng. How do you like it here? What do you like to do? "

    A: " Where I live now is nice. As you can hear [it was a saturday night, apparently this calls for block parties all over Soweto] there is life here! I enjoy my school, hanging with my friends, church. I also like to go to the mall. "

    Q: " Yes! This is the first time I've seen people out at night in South Africa! So you are receiving a bursary[scholarship] from Soweto Vineyard Church, why is that? "

    A: " Well I have been involved in the church, I guess they want to bless me. It is strange though, Mpho and David really found me, they just invited me to come with some other kids from the neighborhood. I do well in my studies. "

    Q: " That's good to hear. So how are you involved with the church? "

    A: " I am taking the computer courses they offer and I lead the children's time. "

    Q: " How do you like the computer classes? "

    A: " They are great. David teaches very well."

    Q: " Good, so what do you want to study at university? "

    A: " I would like to study law and become a police officer one day. "

    Q: " That's quite the major. Why law? Why a police officer? "

    A: " If you look around South Africa, there is so much crime. White on black, black on white, coloured on white, black on black. It's everywhere. There is corruption too. I want to change that. Especially here in Soweto, I want to help my community. "

    Q: " Yes, I've see all the car alarms, gear locks, fences, razor wire. It's different here in Jo'burg. That's a very good goal, why do you think there is crime? "

    A: " There are many reasons. Some say apartheid, some say it's one race or the other, others say it's culture. I know here in Soweto, people are jealous easy. If they see you succeed or move up they "You think you are better than us now!". I think this jealous is this main problem. "

    Q: " Yes I've heard all kinds of things. What makes you want to succeed? From what you say, living here doesn't help. "

    A: " I want to succeed because I know I can do better than this. People from the church tell me this, and really care about me. I am inspired by them and my family "

    Q: " I believe that's key. You say people are jealous sometimes, that's not everyone, what keeps you going? "

    A: " No not everyone, but many. In spite of people who hate to see me succeed, I continue to. If I get knocked down I get back up. I see my sister who has children, no job and just survives. I love her, but I do not want to live like that. She inspires me to do better, so that I can help her and my family one day."

    Q: " Wow, that is a statement! I'm so impressed! What makes you think this way? Who influences you? "

    A: " Mpho and David have been... like fathers to me. They care about me, they believe in me. Only few of my teachers even tell me this."

    Q: " So do you think that is this is important? That people invest in you? "

    A: " Yes, I agree. In the schools here, teachers do not even tell you you can do anything. They tell you must do it, that's it. People from the church and only a few teachers tell me I can do more! I know it. I believe it now. "

    Q: " I'm am so blessed to hear that!One more question. What would you say that South Africa needs most? "

    A: " Justice. There is so much corruption and problems here. Racial, within communities, within cultures. I believe that educating us youngsters and teaching people to think right will change this country. "

    Q: " Great! Well thank you for your time and I can't wait to hear how university is for you. Is there anything else you'd like to say? "

    A: " Thank you. "

    This interview doesn't embody how passionate Maztleng is for justice and change. I hope the slideshow will help convey that.




    Jerome

    1 comments:

    Unknown said...

    so great... thanks for sharing.