follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, May 12, 2009

    The Format

    Since I returned from Swaziland, I’ve been brainstorming ways to present all of the stories I encounter. I want you all to grasp life here in a way that is real, relevant and provocative. Over a few cups of tea ( Rooibos, I feel South African now ) on a format for presenting most of the work here. Think of it as a airplane ride.

    The descent. I’m going to begin by introducing you to the land and culture. This is like your final descent, you’re able to look out of the window, see the mountains, greenery, some animals and some of the architecture. To understand life here, I think it is important to understand the environment we live in.

    The arrival. This is where you begin to get acquainted and settled in. I’m going to explain some of the projects that I’m covering, the problem that they’re addressing and the solutions that we provide.

    The meal. Finally you will meet individuals and hear their stories of life. What a day requires, who they hold close and what they are achieving. I have a sincere interest in the people that I meet and their well-being. I feel listening first and taking photos later is the best way that I can show that. A little more on this through the link below.

    Now not all of my posts will follow this format (most probably won’t after a few weeks) but when you ask the question “Where are the people?” or “What about the projects?” I’m probably laying a foundation to share those stories. All in all, I hope that these stories and photos will inspire you. I’ve been blessed with the opportunity to make it here, but it wasn’t just one big decision. It was a series of small ones that got me here. If anything, I want you to know that it doesn’t take a huge wallet or a national foundation to make a difference. Most of the time it’s a few like-minded people who said we’re going to stand up to injustice and suffering. Other times it’s just a shared meal, lending an ear to listen or the best is an acknowledging smile.



    -Jerome
    www.jeromelovesyou.com
    VOXUNITED
    jerome@voxunited.org

    0 comments: